See post below for reference.
I decided to do the 300 bands, 300 songs thing. Who knows, it might turn into 500 if I get enough participation.
Here’s how it works:
Rather than do yet another list of my favorite songs (which would really just be updating my 500 songs list from ages ago), I am going to make a list of my favorite song from 300 different bands.
I will be using some of my favorite bands, of course. But a lot of it is up to you. Your job here is to throw bands at me, and I’ll have to come up with one song from each of them that will go on my list. I think it’s much harder this way and poses a greater challenge than just listing off songs randomly (and choosing, say, 45 Queens of the Stone Age songs). Also, I have to write at least once sentence about why I chose each song. I will include either a download or youtube link where I can.
A few rules:
- You leave the band suggestion in a comment on this post.
You can only leave one band at a time. Make as many comments as you want, but I don’t want to end up doing 40 bands by one person in a row.
- You can try to throw me some curveballs, but please know that my musical taste is incredibly varied and I can come up with songs I like from most any genre.
- However, we are sticking to rock and pop here. Rock, for the purpose of this list, includes all sub genres, including punk, new wave, metal (heavy, death, speed), hardcore, emo, etc. Pop includes bands that may qualify as rock but are a bit lighter.
- Final judgment on whether or not I use a band lies with me. Really, the only reason I will reject your band suggestion is that I don’t know any songs by them. So you may want to throw some obscure accordian metal band from your small town in the midwest at me, but if I don’t know them, they’re out of here. I’m not going to pretend to like anything. I want this list to really reflect my tastes when all is said and done.
- I may reject a band I hate. See above. If I can’t find a song I truly like, they don’t deserve to be on the list.
- I will be using my own suggestions, obviously. I will probably start the list with a QOTSA song (tomorrow morning) and continue it using 10 band Todd gives me, then work my way through your suggestions from there.
- The more bands, the merrier. This means I’d like to get as many people in on this as possible. So feel free, if you have a blog, to link this and send your readers over to make demands of me.
- I will post at least one song every day. Some days I will do a whole bunch, but I can’t promise that every day. However, I do promise to finish this list. I’m not saying by when, though.
- Why am I doing this? Because I love music and I love lists and I love writing lists about music and talking about the songs I love. Maybe because I am a bit OCD.
If you have any other questions about what I’m doing or how this works, feel free to ask. But THIS is the place where you start naming bands, and I’ll keep coming back to this post to add on to my listmaking.
So start naming bands and spread the word, please. My most ambitious list making to date is about to get underway.
Artists count as well as bands.
You can now leave more than one suggestion at a time.